YAY. I’ve finally managed to get my $hit straight. A little. I’ve got the first FO of 2007 right here:
I don’t know what went wrong. Ok maybe I do. This is handspun Corriedale from wayyy back when I only used spindles. Navajo plied. Well, the pattern called for handspun so I decided it was time to use my handspun again. I’m guessing this yarn doesn’t drape as well. Then again the hat came out a little short so I might have needed bigger needles. I could have sworn I was on gauge!
So, since this fiber isn’t superwash I am going to felt it and make a little felted bowl. I’ve always wanted one of those, so now’s my chance.
A few days ago I started another Branching Out in some of the Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Sport I got for Xmas:
So far, it’s going ok, as this pattern is a fun and easy knit. Quick too. The only thing really slowing me down is that I tend to get bored easily with some things and want to work on something else.
Speaking of bored, I think I’ve stumbled upon another knitting illness, but I don’t really have a name for it. I’d like to call it Stash Misalignment.
You know what I mean, when you run into nice patterns online or in books, and you go to look in your stash and you can’t seem to find anything that’ll work for them? I’m not talking about not having the exact yarn. I’m talking about suitable substitutes! This has happened time and again. Or I’ll go stash diving and pick something out and go bonkers trying to find a pattern to meet it. So much for the idea of knitting down my stash. I DO still refuse to add to it this year. At least with the exception of any fiber given free with my wheel purchase; when that happens.
I tried my hand at taking a stitch pattern from off the ‘net and using it in a sock.. I took the quilted lattice stitch and used it thus:
Here’s a close-up:
Nifty, huh? I had to finagle with the stitch count for it to work but it’s passable. It’s really busy too, what with the fine striping of the yarn. I think I’d better leave this stitch to a solid or something where the stripes will be thicker.
I even did a repeat of this one, but that didn’t last either.
Also on the needles, I was testing a short row heel trick told to me by Susann, and after consulting with her have arrived at this:
Right between the ‘wraps'(wrapped stitch short rows) is four rows of stockinette.
I was using this ‘sock trick’ to get rid of the gap that occurs on the sides of your sock after finishing a short row heel. I’d get these huges gaps that would need three or four stitches picked up to close.. it was a PITA. Susann came to my rescue and I goofed on this tester(you can’t see it in this pic) I know where I went wrong and can correct it. I won’t go into detail about the technique here, if you want to know more, just find me in Knittychat or email me. (sorry if I’m stealing the idea Susann, but I’d rather people didn’t pester you–like I did. hehe).
Basically that’s what I’ve been up to. Trying to get spun yarn off the bobbin to spin up some more; oh man the possibilities! I’ve recently come upon a DIY hackle tute that uses simple hair picks to work the fiber.. I got a few and all I need is some G-clamps to hold them in place so I can blend my own colors!! WEEEEEEEEEEEE
Happy Knit-and-Spin Year!